- 1 tomato, sliced into ½ inch thick wheels
- 1 zucchini, halved and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 eggplant, halved and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 onion, sliced into ½ inch thick wheels
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ pound or 2 bunches arugula
- 1 ounce red wine vinaigrette (see recipe)
- ½ cup shaved Trugole or Asiago cheese
Preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal grill or put a grill pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Drizzle the tomato, zucchini, eggplant and onion with extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill for about 10 minutes, turning once, half way through. Once removed from the grill, chop the tomatoes and onions.
In a salad bowl, combine the arugula and grilled vegetables. Drizzle lightly with the red wine vinaigrette, being careful not to overdress. Season with salt and pepper and toss lightly. Divide the salad equally among 6 salad bowls. Top with shaved Trugole and serve.
Red Wine Vinaigrette
Makes 1½ cups
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small shallot, peeled
1 clove garlic, peeled
3 basil leaves
Freshly cracked pepper
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keeps in refrigerator for up to two weeks.